kaguya_yoru: (fadeintothenight)
[personal profile] kaguya_yoru
Hmm, I finally wrote the second story in this series. I had a lot of plotbunnies for this one, but it wouldn't come out right, until I realized that I needed dialogue. I'm a dialogue queen. So this is the story that's inspired by NSYNC's You Got It.

Mrs. Weasley moved around the kitchen, cleaning up the dishes and every so often, smiling warmly at Tonks. Tonks missed these gestures however – she was staring thoughtfully at the door that led into the garden. Mrs. Weasley flicked her wand once, sending the clean dishes back into the cupboards, and sat down at the old, scrubbed wooden table.

“How are things?” Mrs. Weasley was obviously bursting with excitement.

Tonks, startled, looked at Mrs. Weasley for the first time since dinner ended. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”

Mrs. Weasley smiled and placed her hand on top of Tonk’s. “You and Remus. How are things? You seem to be getting along better than ever.”

Tonks thought for a moment. Then she stood abruptly. “Excuse me, I have to go speak with Remus, actually.” She walked out the door that she had been staring at before and just before the door slammed shut, she heard Mrs. Weasley murmur something that sounded suspiciously like “puppy love.” Crossing the garden, she found Remus staring down the driveway that led to the Burrow. She stopped a few paces behind him and studied him silently, her ankle-length skirt blowing slightly in the wind. “You miss him, don’t you?”

Remus didn’t say anything, but Tonks noticed that his shoulders stiffened a little. Tonks continued, “I didn’t know him for very long. I had seen him a couple of times when I was younger and of course, there were the meetings at 12 Grimmauld Place. He seemed brill.”

“He was.”

Tonks waited, but it didn’t seem like Remus was going to offer any more information. “Did you want him?”

There was another long pause. Remus throat sounded constricted when he answered, “I did.”

Tonks waited again, but Remus remained silent. She took a deep breath. “Do you want him?”

Remus turned around at that. He took in Tonk’s appearance: her bright bubble-gum pink hair, her T-shirt with The Weird Sisters logo on it, and her long, flowing skirt. Her face was composed but he could see that her eyes were anguished. “Why would you say that?” His tone was measured.

Tonks took another deep breath and plunged into her explanation. “I’ve told you before that I love you, but you’ve never said it back. That’s fine, of course, but I see the way you look at me sometimes. It’s like you’re not really looking at me, but someone else and I just happen to be in the way. And sometimes, when I touch you, I can feel you flinch.” Here, Tonks paused. “I love you,” she repeated. “I want to make you happy.” Tonks took a step closer. “Let me make you happy.”

With that, her appearance suddenly changed. Her hair grew, so that it reached her shoulders, and turned black. Her jawline became less delicate, and her face lost its heart-shaped look. Her shoulders broadened and her hips disappeared. She glanced down and with one quick spell, her clothes were a plain black T-shirt and Muggle jeans. Looking up, she shook her now longer hair away from her face, and Remus was looking into the face of Sirius Black.

Remus blanched. Tonks didn’t say anything, but just stood there waiting for Remus to make the first move. She may be able to change her appearance at will, but her voice remained the same and she didn’t fancy trying to imitate Sirius’s careless drawl. Remus took a step closer to Tonks, so that he was right in front of her. His eyes raked her form, trying to look everywhere at once. Finally, he focused on her eyes and reached a trembling hand towards her face. Inches away from it, Remus stopped, his hand hovering in mid-air.

“No,” Remus whispered. His hand dropped. “No,” he said firmly. Turning, he strode down the driveway. When he reached the end, he Disapparated. Tonks stared at the spot where Remus Disapparated and held back a sob.

“That was a dirty, rotten trick.” Tonks whirled around, her appearance turning back to normal as she did so. Ginny was standing behind her, leaning against the side of the house, her face shadowed by an overhang. “He’ll never love you, you know.”

Tonks didn’t know how to answer that, so she said the first thing that popped into her head. “Wotcher, Ginny. What are you doing here?”

“Well, I do live here,” Ginny replied. Ginny moved into the moonlight. Her tone had been amused, but her face was somber.

“I thought you were in Romania with your brother Charlie.”

“I came back.” Ginny moved closer to Tonks. “I meant what I said before. He’ll never love you.”

Tonks frowned slightly. “What are you talking about?”

“Lupin. He’s still in love with Sirius. He can’t love you.” Ginny cocked her head to the side. “Didn’t you know?”

Tonks turned to look where Remus Disapparated. “I think I do now.”

“I, on the other hand, have been in love with you since the moment I saw you.” Ginny sounded as if she was merely discussing the weather.

Tonks turned sharply to look at Ginny. Her head felt clouded. “What about Harry?”

A look of annoyance passed over Ginny’s face, but was quickly replaced by a smile. “Harry and I broke up, remember?”

Tonks stared at Ginny for a moment and then her face grew stony. “I understand. You want me to be Harry for you.”

An expression of horror chased away Ginny’s smile. “No!” she blurted out. Ginny stepped closer to Tonks. “I want you…” She placed her hands on Tonks hips. “…just…” She pulled Tonks until their bodies were flush against each other. “…the way…” Ginny placed a kiss right on Tonks’s nose. “…you are,” she finished.

Tonks regarded Ginny for a moment. “Are you serious about this?”

“Yes.”

Tonks extricated herself from Ginny’s grasp. “I don’t know about this…” she began, but Ginny interrupted her.

“It’s okay. I can wait.” Ginny turned back towards the house, but then stopped after only walking a few steps. “You will come back, won’t you?” she questioned. “Tomorrow?”

“Sure. Tomorrow.”

Ginny nodded and then disappeared inside the house. Tonks regarded the house thoughtfully and then turned to Disapparate. ‘What is it with me, that house, and romance?’ she thought as she whirled away in a rush of magic.

Date: 2005-07-23 08:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] monomaniacally.livejournal.com
1. That exchange between Tonks & Remus brought tears to my eyes. Either that or something blew itself into my eyes at that specific moment, but I'm pretty sure they were emotional tears.
2. It felt like Ginny popped out of nowhere. Like maybe there should have been a long period of time before the exchange between Ginny & Tonks.
3. I really like the last sentence.
4. I loved your characterization of Remus. But I felt like Ginny was a tad too harsh, however you and I probably have different ideas about Ginny to a certain extent. Anyway, for the purpose of making Tonks see that Remus will never love you, I suppose Ginny's harshness is appropriate.

Profile

kaguya_yoru: (Default)
kaguya_yoru

March 2013

S M T W T F S
     12
3 456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 18th, 2026 12:22 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios